09 July 2015

A Japanese Adventure... coming soon!

So, it's no secret that I'm quite a big fan of Japan. I've been fascinated with Japanese culture since I was a child (blame it on the Pokemon), and the fascination persisted into adulthood. I studied Japanese art as a post-graduate, and have visited the country a couple of times in the past few years. I had an incredible time there - the country was even more beautiful, quirky and fun than I imagined! If you've been following Foods for Thought for a while, you'll remember that one of my first blog posts was about the country. And my profile pic? That was taken in the beautiful port of Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan.

Basically, I can't get enough of Japan - so I'm going to go and live there for a while! I applied for a handful of seasonal jobs in Niseko, the ski resort that I've gotten to know quite well over my two visits, and which is world-famous for its incredible powder snow. To my amazement (given I have no experience in hospitality/tourism), I've been offered a job for the 2015/16 winter season! I'm so happy and overwhelmed with excitement. I don't think I've ever spent more than 20 days or so out of the UK before - I never did a gap year or anything - so this is quite a big deal for me. But I'm glad that I am doing it now; I think now that I'm a little older and wiser I can really make the most of a trip like this.

Now that I have a job offer I am going to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, which will allow me to stay in Japan for a year. After the winter season is over and I've had my fill of japow, I plan to work my way down through the islands, ending up in Okinawa for the summer. I've never been there but it looks like a tropical paradise! It's known as Japan's answer to Hawaii.

I have so much to sort out before I move to Japan at the end of October! Of course I will document my adventure on here when I get there. In the meantime, I thought I would share some of my favourite photos from my previous trips to Japan.


Fresh mineral water spring near Kutchan, Hokkaido



Canal at Otaru, Hokkaido


View of Mt Yotei from the Niseko slopes



Craft Beer at Harajuku Taprooms, Tokyo


Crab sign, Otaru fish market


An android at The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation, Tokyo


A view of the Imperial Palace, Tokyo 

Shinjuku, Tokyo at night

Tokyo's Sky Tree surrounded by real trees

Japan has such a unique mix of natural beauty, ancient traditions, innovative technologies and incredible food and drink. That's why I love it so much! I can't wait to fully immerse myself in the culture.

Have you ever lived abroad? Have you visited Japan before?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job offer - that's awesome! I visited Japan on my pre-uni "gap yah" back in 2007 and have been wanting to go back ever since! x
    LilyLipstick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! Did you visit anywhere else in East asia / south East Asia during your gap year trip? I haven't actually been to any other Asian countries, so I may see if I can get a flight back via Hong kong or somewhere like that.

      Delete